Why a fundamentals coaching course?
Maybe you're completely new to mountain biking, or perhaps you're a little more experienced, but you've never been taught the fundamentals of riding off-road. Possibly you've
tried some technical trails,
but lacked confidence and scared yourself a few times?
OurSingletrack Fundamentals coaching course will give you the core skills to get out in the woods tackling technical trails with confidence and commitment.
Following training you will see an immediate improvement in your riding and a boost in confidence. You'll understand how changes in your body position, footwork and where you are looking affect the way your bike behaves on singletrack trails. You'll be able to tackle steeper terrain, corner with greater control and negotiate small trail obstacles with ease.
I had a totally brilliant time and finished the singletrack grinning from ear to ear. Rob (the coach) explained everything so clearly. Thanks again!
Emma - Sittingbourne
The skills taught and practised on theSingletrack Fundamentals course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Setting your saddle height for off-road riding
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
"The Looking Epiphany"
- Body Position & Movement
The Ready Position & "The Standing Epiphany"
Moving around the bike in three dimensions
Dynamic weight shift
- Speed Control
Braking safely and effectively
When and where to brake
- Trail Obstacles
Riding over large rocks and roots with confidence
Steep terrain technique
Rolling drops & bomb holes
- Trail Flow
Reading the trail
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're fairly new to mountain biking or have not been riding off-road regularily for more than a year or so
- You have may have tried green, blue or even red graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You can already ride a bike and are familiar with the usage of your gears and brakes
- You can already ride comfortably on smooth trails such as tow paths, forest roads and easy bridleways
- You participate in formal exercise at least once per week, though not necessarily on a bike
- You can ride on flat or moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least two hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Foundations day course instead. If a little basic, please choose our Singletrack Improver course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
A massive thank you for The Fundamentals course and guided ride last weekend. I'm still buzzing from it and boring everyone about being able to do a manual!
Rachel - Brixton, South London
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Fast-track Singletrack Skills two day course.
The Fast-track Singletrack Skills course costs £199.00 and includes the following courses:
- Saturday - Singletrack Fundamentals level 2 skills course
- Sunday - Singletrack Improver level 3 skills course
Visit the Fast-track Singletrack Skills course page for more information.
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
© 2009-2022 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • Contact Us