Singletrack Improver (part 1)
Why our Singletrack Improver course?
Have you reached a plateau in your mountain biking and can't seem to ride faster on technical terrain without fear of falling off? Maybe you've tried a few
red graded backcountry
or trail centre trails, but lacked the confidence to hit technical sections as hard as you would like?
Our Singletrack Improver (part 1) coaching course will build upon your Fundamentals to give you a toolbox of mountain bike skills that you can apply to any terrain, in any location, and any in conditions; be it a gnarly back country trail in The Lakes or classic red route at a Welsh trail centre?
Following training you will see an immediate improvement in your riding and a boost in your confidence on technical trails. You will be able to tackle rougher terrain and trickier corners with greater control and negotiate bigger trail obstacles and moderate drops with confidence and commitment.
Just wanted to let you know that since my last lesson I have been transformed. No longer am I the slow coach at the back! The lessons were fantastic and I feel so much more confident
Sabrina - Croydon
The skills taught and practised on the Singletrack Improver (part 1) course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Setting up your forks and shock
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Projecting your mind down the trail - "The Looking Epiphany"
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
Stop riding and start driving
- Speed Control
Pump assisted braking
Using speed to activate your suspension
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate rocks, roots & logs
Technique for flat and off-camber corners
Finding grip on loose surfaces
Carrying more speed through corners
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Pumping the trail for free speed and efficiency
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
If you have little or no regular off-road riding experience (less than one year), we strongly suggest that you join a Level 2 Singletrack Fundamentals course and practise regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 2 course - Singletrack Fundamentals
- You regularily ride off road (at least twice a month) on blue and red graded singletrack trails at a trail centres or similar venues
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You participant in formal exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
Thanks to Gary (the coach) who was a great teacher & really knew how to push me in the right way that meant I achieved exactly what I wanted to achieve!
Jo - Hove, East Sussex
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Mountain Bike Improver two day course.
The Mountain Bike Improver course costs £199.00 and includes the following courses:
- Saturday - Singletrack Improver (part 1) level 3 skills course
- Sunday- Singletrack Improver (part 2 )level 3 technique course
Visit the Mountain Bike Improver course page for more information.
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury St Mary Surrey Hills | RH5 6NW
- 3Places remaining
- ✿ Women only course
- ☻ Kids course (12-16 years)
© 2009-2019 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • Contact Us