Fast-track Singletrack Skills
Take your trail skills from zero to hero over two intensive days of skills coaching
So you've been mountain biking a while and have probably realised that there's more to this incredibly exciting sport than simply being able to ride a bike.
On our Fast-track Singletrack Skills two day course our expert coaches will take what you have learned so far to the next level and beyond. We'll tell what you're already doing right, so you can do more of that, and what you're doing wrong.
On Day One we'll polish your fundamentals, iron out any bad habits you may have picked up, get you moving around your bike and tackling some trail obstacles with style and finesse.
Then on Day Two we'll take these fundamentals to the next level and teach you some trail skills that will have you riding your local loops faster and tackling larger obstacles more confidently than ever before.
After the course you'll find your enjoyment of the sport will increase dramatically. You'll no longer feel like you're just surviving trails, you'll feel in more control and ready to the most technical of trails.
I had such a great day and despite the fact that I'm absolutely shattered, I am still smiling! The instructor was fantastic and the teachings of the day came together in the afternoon ride
Deborah - Guildford
When & where
This course is usually scheduled on the 1st Saturday/Sunday, 2nd Friday/Saturday and 4th Saturday/Sunday (women only) of the month or, if you wish, you can book the two course days separately with a break in between. However, you must complete the course days in order; Singletrack Fundamentals first and then Singletrack Improver (part I).
The venue for this course is: Hurtwood Car Park 14, Radnor Lane, Dorking, Surrey RH5 6NW.
How to book
Click Book Online below to open our bookings system and first add a two day course pass to your basket. Then add the two course days from our schedule on the days you prefer, remembering to book the two courses in order.
You may also download the pre-course pack for each course day from the bookings page. This details the schedule for each day, venue details, travel information and a full equipment list including some mandatory items.
The skills taught and practiced on the Fast-track Singletrack Skills course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Setting your saddle height for off-road riding
Setting up your forks and shock
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Projecting your mind down the trail - "The Looking Epiphany"
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
The Ready Position & "The Standing Epiphany"
Moving around the bike in three dimensions
Dynamic weight shift
Weighting & unweighting the bike
Stop riding and start driving
- Speed Control
Braking safely and effectively
Pump assisted braking
Using speed to activate your suspension
When and where to brake
- Trail Obstacles
Riding over large rocks and roots with confidence
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate rocks, roots & logs
Steep terrain technique
Rolling drops & bomb holes
Technique for flat and off-camber corners
Finding grip on loose surfaces
Carrying more speed through corners
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Pumping the trail for free speed and efficiency
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're fairly new to mountain biking or have not been riding off-road regularily for more than a year or so
- You regularily ride off road and will have tried green, blue and perhaps red graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals day course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- Day 1 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- Day 1 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- Day 1 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- Day 1 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- Day 1 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- Day 1 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- Day 2 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- Day 2 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- Day 2 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- Day 2 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- Day 2 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- Day 2 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- Day 2 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
The advice was great for improving my technique and above all my mind set and mental block over the steep roll offs
Liz - Dorking
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
© 2009-2023 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • ☎ 01483 380381