Learn the basics of off-road riding
We are in the process of migrating to a new bookings and payment system. As a result courses are gradually being updated and linked to the new system as new 2023 dates are added to our programme. For more information please email email@example.com.
So you'd like to learn the basics of riding off-road but are unsure where to start. Well look no further than our Singletrack Foundations course
We'll get you moving in the right direction; from selecting the right gear to knowing how to brake safely, we'll give you the skills to get riding off-road for the first time in safety and with confidence.
A couple of weeks ago I didn't have the confidence to ride over a match stick, let alone a rooty trail or a few logs
Doug - Addiscombe Cycling Club
The core skills taught and practiced on the Singletrack - Foundations course include:
- The safe mountain bike
- Getting to know your mountain bike
- Balance, movement and 'The Ready position'
- Correct gear selection
- Effective braking
- Negotiating trail obstacles such as small rocks, roots and steps
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 09:45-10:00 Arrival at course venue
- 10:00-10:30 Introductions, equipment check
- 10:30-10.45 Warm-up ride into the forest
- 10:45-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-13:15 Review and next steps
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're new to mountain biking, may have never tried riding off-road or have tried just once or twice
- You can already confidentally ride a bike, but may not know how to use your gears or brakes correctly
- You can already ride comfortably on the road or smooth off-road trails such as tow paths, forest roads or easy bridleways
- You participate in formal exercise at least once per week, though not necessarily on a bike
- You can ride on flat or moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least an hour comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds sounds a little too basic, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
This is the first cycling coaching I have paid for and it won't be my last with Singletrack School!
Paul - Oxshott, Surrey
Kids & adult bikes available for hire
We have a small number of superb Specialized Hotrock kids bikes available to hire in additional the a large fleet of adult bikes if your group is short of a bike or two.
Bike Hire Pricing Per Day
||For heights 5' 0" - 6' 5"
||For smaller kids aged 5 - 10
© 2009-2023 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • ☎ 01483 380381