Singletrack - Foundations
So you'd like to learn the basics of riding off-road but are unsure where to start. Well look no further than our Singletrack Foundations course
We'll get you moving in the right direction; from selecting the right gear to knowing how to brake safely, we'll give you the skills to get riding off-road for the first time in safety and with confidence.
A couple of weeks ago I didn't have the confidence to ride over a match stick, let alone a rooty trail or a few logs
Doug - Addiscombe Cycling Club
The core skills taught and practised on the Singletrack - Foundations course include:
- The safe mountain bike
- Getting to know your mountain bike
- Balance, movement and 'The Ready position'
- Correct gear selection
- Effective braking
- Negotiating trail obstacles such as small rocks, roots and steps
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 13:45-14:00 Arrival at course venue
- 14:00-14:10 Course commences, introductions
- 14:10-14:30 The safe mountain bike, getting to know your bike, gear selection
- 14:30-14.45 Warm-up ride to skills area
- 14:45-16:30 Singletrack skills coaching and practise
- 16:30-17:30 practise singletrack ride
- 17:30-17:45 Review and next steps
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're new to mountain biking, may have never tried riding off-road or have tried just once or twice
- You can already confidentally ride a bike, but may not know how to use your gears or brakes correctly
- You can already ride comfortably on the road or smooth off-road trails such as tow paths, forest roads or easy bridleways
- You participate in formal exercise at least once per week, though not necessarily on a bike
- You can ride on flat or moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least an hour comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds sounds a little too basic, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
This is the first cycling coaching I have paid for and it won't be my last with Singletrack School!
Paul - Oxshott, Surrey
Kids & adult bikes available for hire
We have a small number of superb Specialized Hotrock kids bikes available to hire in additional the a large fleet of adult bikes if your group is short of a bike or two.
Bike Hire Pricing Per Day
||For heights 5' 0" - 6' 5"
||For smaller kids aged 5 - 10
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury St Mary Surrey Hills
- 3Places remaining
- ✿ Women only course
- ☻Kids course (10-15 years)