Singletrack Improver (Part I)
Upgrade your trail skills to the next level
Have you reached a plateau in your mountain biking and can't seem to ride faster on technical terrain without fear of falling off? Maybe you've tried a few
red or black graded backcountry
or trail centre trails, but lacked the confidence to hit technical sections as hard as you would like?
Our two Singletrack Improver coaching courses we will build upon your Fundamentals to give you a toolbox of mountain bike skills that you can apply to any terrain, in any location, and any in conditions; be it a gnarly back country trail in The Lakes or classic red route at a Welsh trail centre?
Following Singletrack Improver (Part I) you will see an immediate improvement in your riding and a boost in your confidence on technical trails. You will be able to tackle rougher terrain and trickier corners with greater control and negotiate bigger trail obstacles with confidence and commitment.
Neil (the coach) very quickly identified and unravelled bad habits and described correct technique in a way that had instant results on the bike
Francis - South-East London
When & where
This course is usually scheduled to run on the 1st Sunday, 2nd Saturday, 3rd Saturday and 4th Sunday (women only) of each month.
The venue for this course is: Hurtwood Car Park 14, Radnor Lane, Dorking, Surrey RH5 6NW.
How to book
To view dates and book your place on this and other Singletrack School skills courses, please click on the button below. to open our bookings system.
You may also download the course's pre-course pack from the bookings page which details the schedule for your course, venue details, travel information and a full equipment list including some mandatory items.
The skills taught and practiced on this skills course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Setting up your forks and shock
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Projecting your mind down the trail - "The Looking Epiphany"
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
Stop riding and start driving
- Speed Control
Pump assisted braking
Using speed to activate your suspension
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate rocks, roots & logs
Technique for flat and off-camber corners
Finding grip on loose surfaces
Carrying more speed through corners
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Pumping the trail for free speed and efficiency
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
This course is aimed at riders who can already tackle blue and red trails with some confidence, who have probably had some formal coaching before, but perhaps recognise that their skills may be somewhat lacking in some areas.
If you are prone to crashing frequently, do not ride regularly and are not a frequent trail centre visitor, we strongly suggest that you join a Level 2 Singletrack Fundamentals course and practice regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course.
- You will have already attended a Level 2 - Singletrack Fundamentals course and/or be confident and competent in all aspects of the syllabus
- You regularly (on average at least once per week) ride off road on blue and red graded singletrack trails at a trail centres or similar venues
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with rocks, roots, steps and short steep sections
- You participant in formal exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill level, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
Great day today on the Singletrack Improver (Part I) course, I can now manual with the best of them. Really enjoyed the guided ride too, although the legs are a spot achey now
Steve - Witney, Oxfordshire
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Using the correct technique the trail seemed smoother and easier as we just floated down and felt fresh at the bottom
Mike - Brighton Mountain Bike Club
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Mountain Bike Improver two day course.
The Mountain Bike Improver course costs £199.00 and includes the following courses:
- Saturday - Singletrack Improver (part 1) level 3 skills course
- Sunday- Singletrack Improver (part 2 )level 3 technique course
Visit the Mountain Bike Improver course page for more information.
© 2009-2023 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • ☎ 01483 380381