Mountain Bike Improver
Build upon your fundamentals and receive a massive boost in trail technique
Spend two days under the watchful eyes of our coaches learning technical singletrack skills and let us take your trail riding to the next level. We'll build your confidence on technical singletrack and get you riding faster and more skilfully than ever before.
Our two day Mountain Bike Improver course looks at the key elements to finding your flow and builds upon your fundamentals to improve your technical singletrack skills and energy management. Rooty trails will no longer hold any fear and steep rocky descents will become second nature.
After the course you will receive a massive boost in speed and commitment on fast corners, steep descents and in your climbing; all of which achieved with far less physical effort.
Thanks for a great weekend on the Mountain Bike Improver course, both myself and Charlie thoroughly enjoyed it, learnt a lot and increased our confidence
Justin - Lightwater
When & where
This course is usually scheduled on the 2nd Saturday/Sunday of the month or, if you wish, you can book the two course days separately with a break in between. However, you must complete the course days in order; Singletrack Improver (part I) first, then Singletrack Improver (part II).
The venue for this course is: Hurtwood Car Park 14, Radnor Lane, Dorking, Surrey RH5 6NW.
How to book
Click Book Online below to open our bookings system and first add a two day course pass to your baske. Tthen add the two course days from our schedule on the days you prefer, remembering to book the two courses in order.
You may also download the pre-course pack for each course day from the bookings page. This details the schedule for each day, venue details, travel information and a full equipment list including some mandatory items.
The skills taught and practiced on the Mountain Bike Improver course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Setting up your forks and shock
Dropper posts usage and set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Projecting your mind down the trail - "The Looking Epiphany"
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
Stop riding and start driving
- Speed Control
Pump assisted braking
Using speed to activate your suspension
Where & when to brake - "The Braking Epiphany"
Speed management on steep terrain
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate rocks, roots & logs
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to to drop steps
Powered Front Wheel Lifts to assist climbing
Technique for flat and off-camber corners
Finding grip on loose surfaces
Carrying more speed through corners
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Pumping the trail for free speed and efficiency
Linking sections for flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Attacking vs. defensive lines
- Climbing & Descending
Climbing with speed & efficiency
Maximizing grip and traction
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
This course is aimed at riders who can already tackle blue and red trails with some confidence, who have probably had some formal coaching before, but perhaps recognise that their skills may be somewhat lacking in some areas.
If you are prone to crashing frequently, do not ride regularly and are not a frequent trail centre visitor, we strongly suggest that you join a a Level 2 Singletrack Fundamentals course or a Fast-track Singletrack Skills two day course and practice regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course
- You will have already attended a Level 2 - Singletrack Fundamentals course and/or be confident and competent in all aspects of the syllabus
- You regularly (on average at least once per week) ride off road on blue and red graded singletrack trails at a trail centres or similar venues
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You participant in formal exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill level, please choose our Fast-track Singletrack Skills two day course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- Day 1 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- Day 1 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- Day 1 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- Day 1 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- Day 1 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- Day 1 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- Day 2 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- Day 2 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- Day 2 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- Day 2 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- Day 2 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- Day 2 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- Day 2 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
I anticipated that from the weekend I might learn a few things and sharpen some skills, how wrong I was. I have been riding bikes for over 35 years on and off and learnt more in two days than in all that time.
Joe - Brighton Mountain Bike Club
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
© 2009-2023 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • ☎ 01483 380381