Why our Singletrack Improver course?
Have you reached a plateau in your mountain biking and can't seem to ride faster on technical terrain without fear of falling off? Maybe you've tried a few
red graded backcountry
or trail centre trails, but lacked the confidence to hit technical sections as hard as you would like?
Our Singletrack Improver coaching course will build upon your Fundamentals to give you a toolbox of mountain bike skills that you can apply to any terrain, in any location, and any in conditions; be it a gnarly back country trail in The Lakes or classic red route at a Welsh trail centre?
Following training you will see an immediate improvement in your riding and a boost in your confidence on technical trails. You will be able to tackle rougher terrain and trickier corners with greater control and negotiate bigger trail obstacles and moderate drops with confidence and commitment.
Just wanted to let you know that since my last lesson I have been transformed. No longer am I the slow coach at the back! The lessons were fantastic and I feel so much more confident
Sabrina - Croydon
The skills taught and practised on the Singletrack Improver course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Dropper posts usage and set-up
Setting up your forks
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
Carrying speed on the trail
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
Leaning the bike for grip on loose surfaces
Weighting the bike (bars and pedals) for additional grip
Riding off camber sections
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate obstacles
Manual dropping roots and steps
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
If you have little or no regular off-road riding experience (less than one year), we strongly suggest that you join a Level 2 Singletrack Fundamentals course and practise regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 2 course - Singletrack Fundamentals
- You regularily ride off road (at least twice a month) on blue and red graded singletrack trails at a trail centres or similar venues
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You participant in formal exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 08:45-09:00 Arrival at course venue
- 09:00-09:30 Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:30-09.45 Warm-up ride to skills area
- 09:45-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practise
- 13:00-13:30 Review and next steps
Thanks to Gary (the coach) who was a great teacher & really knew how to push me in the right way that meant I achieved exactly what I wanted to achieve!
Jo - Hove, East Sussex
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Optional afternoon guided ride
What better time to put into practise all your newly acquired skills than to join us in the afternoon for a superb guided singletrack ride around the local hills and valleys.
Our Singletrack Explorer guided rides are perfect for people who have attended our morning Singletrack Improver course. The ride costs just £30.00 and usually last around 2 hours.
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Mountain Bike Improver two day course.
The Mountain Bike Improver course costs £185.00 and includes the following sessions:
- Saturday AM - Singletrack Improver level 2 skills course
- Saturday PM - Hurtwood Singletrack Explorer guided ride
- Sunday AM - Mastering Rocks & Roots level 2 technique course
- Sunday PM - Leith Hill Explorer guided ride
Visit the Mountain Bike Improver course page for more information.
*Price does not include accommodation. Options with accommodation start at an inclusive price of £230.00
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury St Mary Surrey Hills
- 3Places remaining
- ✿ Women only course
- ☻ Kids course (12-16 years)