Singletrack Improver (Part II)
Stop surviving and start flourishing
Do you stiffen up at the sight of greasy, wet roots up ahead? Do your wheels slip and spin regardless of what line you take? Do you sometimes walk technical sections whilst others ride them with ease? What about rocks? Does a rubble strewn trail fill you with horror and do you cringe at the sight of a rocky step?
If this sounds like you then our second Singletrack Improver course will help you master evern more tricky terrain. Our highly experienced mountain bike coaches will take you through the techniques necessary to flow over rocks and roots effortlessly, to pick the perfect line for maximum traction and to think yourself through to the other side.
Following Singletrack Improver (part 2) you will be able to ride both wet and dry roots with confidence, tackle rocky drops with ease, pick the fastest line in all conditions and to sail over complex terrain with control and commitment.
"I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Singletrack Improver (part 2) course yesterday. Jess was a great instructor, providing a good balance of tuition versus practice."
Richard - Guildford
When & where
This course is usually scheduled to run on the 2nd Sunday of each month.
The venue for this course is: Hurtwood Car Park 14, Radnor Lane, Dorking, Surrey RH5 6NW.
How to book
To view dates and book your place on this and other Singletrack School skills courses, please click on the button below. to open our bookings system.
You may also download the course's pre-course pack from the bookings page which details the schedule for your course, venue details, travel information and a full equipment list including some mandatory items.
The skills taught and practiced on this skills course include:
- Bike Set-up
Dropper posts usage and set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through techniique instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
- Speed Control
Where & when to brake - "The Braking Epiphany"
Speed management on steep terrain
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to to drop steps
Powered Front Wheel Lifts to assist climbing
- Climbing & Descending
Climbing with speed & efficiency
Maximizing grip and traction
- Trail Flow
Linking sections for flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Attacking vs. defensive lines
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
This course is aimed at riders who can already tackle blue and red trails with some confidence, who have probably had some formal coaching before, but perhaps recognise that their skills may be somewhat lacking in some areas.
If you are prone to crashing frequently, do not ride regularly and are not a frequent trail centre visitor, we strongly suggest that you join a Level 2 Singletrack Fundamentals course and practice regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course.
- You have already attended a level 3 Singletrack Improver (part 1) course and be confident and competent in all aspects of the syllabus
- You regularly (on average at least once per week) ride off road on blue and red graded singletrack trails at a trail centres or similar venues
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You participant in formal exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill level, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
The lesson was fab and then the consolidation at Dalby was excellento! Simon (the coach) was lovely and we all took a lot away from the day
Melody - Manchester
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Mountain Bike Improver two day course.
The Mountain Bike Improver course costs £199.00 and includes the following courses:
- Saturday - Singletrack Improver (part 1) level 3 skills course
- Sunday- Singletrack Improver (part 2 )level 3 technique course
Visit the Mountain Bike Improver course page for more information.
© 2009-2023 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • ☎ 01483 380381