Mastering Steep Terrain
Get to grips with committing steep descents packed with tricky trail features
Do you find yourself losing your nerve when the trail dips steeply downhill ahead? Are you phased when a steep descent is littered with rocks, roots and steps? Do you find yourself pushing up more hills than you ride?
If this sounds like you then perhaps our Mastering Steep Terrain course might be able to help. Our highly experienced mountain bike coaches will take you through the techniques necessary to confidently tackle steep technical terrain in both directions.
After the course you'll receive an enormous boost in speed and commitment on steep descents, you'll be able to tackle technical terrain with more confidence than ever before and your climbing will receive a massive upgrade in the range of climbs you can attack.
Huge thanks for the fantastic day I had doing the Mastering Steep Terrain course and the guided ride. I had so much fun and really learnt a lot. I'm sure it will improve my riding massively and make the 3 peaks cyclocross race just a little bit easier and quicker!
Jez - Ottershaw, Surrey
The skills taught and practised on the Mastering Steep Terrain course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Dropper posts usage and set-up
Choosing the right suspension set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
Mastering corners on steep terrain
- Trail Obstacles
Manual dropping large roots and steps
Wheelie dropping large roots and steps
Steep committing rolling drops
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Attacking vs. defensive lines
Linking sections for flow
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
If you have never received any professional mountain bike coaching before, we strongly suggest that you join a Level 3 Singletrack Improver course and practise regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 3 course - Singletrack Improver
- You have significant experience of riding off road, you are a regular mountain biker (at least once a week), and will have tried red and perhaps black graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on moderately steep, narrow singletrack trails with large rocks, root fans, steps, rollable drop-offs and other technical trail features
- You can already execute a proper Weight Shift Manual. If you are in any doubt please attend a Singletrack Improver course first
- You participant in formal exercise more than twice a week, at least two of these sessions is on a bike and and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride up steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Improver course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
Thanks for the great Mastering Steep Terrain course this afternoon - was really impressed with the video coaching. What a great idea!
Mike - Southampton
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our two day Advanced Improver course.
The two day Advanced Improver course costs £199.00 and includes the following courses:
- Saturday - Singletrack Advanced level 4 skills course
- Sunday- Mastering Steep Terrain level 4 technique course
Visit the Advanced Improver page for more information.
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury St Mary Surrey Hills | RH5 6NW
- 3Places remaining
- ✿ Women only course
- ☻ Kids course (12-16 years)
© 2009-2019 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • Contact Us