Introduction to Mountain Biking
An exciting two day mix of trail skills and practical advice
You've managed to survive this long out on the trails without any formal skills coaching, but have nagging doubts you might be doing a few things wrong. You also dread anything going wrong with your bike as you've never been taught any basic trailside repairs. You fear your luck will run out soon or maybe it already has.
On our Introduction to Mountain Biking course our expert coaches will take what you have learned so far to the next level and beyond. We'll tell what you're already doing right, so you can do more of that, and what you're doing wrong, and we'll turn you into a mountain bike Macgyver so you can turn disaster into victory with ease.
On Day One we'll look at your bike set-up, polish your fundamentals, iron out any bad habits you may have picked up, get you moving around your bike and tackling some trail obstacles with style and finesse.
Then on Day Two we'll look at safety, equipment and how to get yourself out of a pickle if things go wrong out on the trail. We'll look at the mountain biker's bag and how what's in it can make all the difference if your bike let's you down or your luck runs out.
After the course you'll find your enjoyment of the sport will increase dramatically. You'll no longer feel like you're just surviving trails, you'll feel in more control and ready to ride more challenging of trails. You'll also feel confident you can carry out common repairs out on the trail.
I've been a self-taught mountain biker for years - I wish I'd actually had some proper teaching much earlier on, I could have avoided a lot of fear and been faster and smoother over the trails.
The course reignited my love of mountain biking and significantly changed my riding style. I'm riding things I wouldn't have thought possible, now with better flow.
Richard - Godstone, Surrey
The skills taught and practised on the Introduction to Mountain Biking course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Setting your saddle height for off-road riding
Setting up your forks and shock
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
"The Looking Epiphany"
- Body Position & Movement
The Ready Position & "The Standing Epiphany"
Moving around the bike in three dimensions
Dynamic weight shift
- Speed Control
Braking safely and effectively
When and where to brake
- Trail Obstacles
Riding over large rocks and roots with confidence
Steep terrain technique
Rolling drops & bomb holes
- Trail Flow
Reading the trail
- Mountain Biker's Bag
Tools, spares and
improvised repair items
The mountain biker's first aid kit
Trail riding safety equipment
What to do if things go wrong
- Trailside Repairs
Replacing an inner tube
Fixing a broken chain
Changing your brake pads
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're fairly new to mountain biking or have not been riding off-road regularily for more than a year or so
- You regularily ride off road and will have tried green, blue and perhaps red graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is technical mountain biking
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
- You are aged 18 and over unless accompanied by an adult also participating on the course
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Fundamentals day course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- Day 1 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- Day 1 09:30-10:00 Introductions, equipment check and bike set-up session
- Day 1 10:00-10.15 Warm-up ride into the forest
- Day 1 10:15-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- Day 1 13:00-14:00 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- Day 1 14:00-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- Day 2 09:15-09:30 Arrival at course venue
- Day 2 09:30-12:30 Equipment, safety and trailside repairs session
- Day 2 12:30-13:30 Lunch break back at start point (bring a packed lunch)
- Day 2 13:30-15:30 Coached singletrack ride
- Day 2 15:30-15:45 Review and next steps
I’ve ridden trails and cross country for years but Danielle (the coach) broke down technique for making riding singletrack trails energy efficient and less intimidating. Really learned a lot and to learn in a female only environment was especially confidence boosting. We spent time making sure the bike was fit to ride, safe and suitable which was really useful.
Stephanie - Putney, London
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
: include(/home/62153/domains/singletrackschool.co.uk/html/assets/includes/course-programme/introduction-to-mountain-biking-women-only.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /nfs/c04/h07/mnt/62153/domains/singletrackschool.co.uk/html/courses/womens-courses/introduction-to-mountain-biking-women-only.php
on line 195
: include(): Failed opening '/home/62153/domains/singletrackschool.co.uk/html/assets/includes/course-programme/introduction-to-mountain-biking-women-only.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php-5.6.21/share/pear') in /nfs/c04/h07/mnt/62153/domains/singletrackschool.co.uk/html/courses/womens-courses/introduction-to-mountain-biking-women-only.php
on line 195
© 2009-2020 Astounding Adventures Limited • Company Number 7825247 • Privacy Statement • Contact Us